Sunday, July 30, 2017

Scribbling: Because I'm Copying Amanda

Amanda is scribbling at her blog, and it sounded like a good idea, so I'm blatantly ripping her off. Love you, Amanda!

Weather: 91 and sunny, which is fairly cool for a day like this on the cusp of hell...errr, August. 
Location: My bedroom/office. I was at Cotton Patch Cafe earlier, then my mom's. Now I've finished my work for the day, and I'm ready for stretchy pants.
Reading: I finished the final Southern Reach novel, ACCEPTANCE--by Jeff VanderMeer--earlier in the week, and I haven't settled on my next book just yet. I'm toying with ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT by Jeanette Winterson. I've also started AN EMBER IN THE ASHES, by Sabaa Tahir and need to get back to it. Sorry for all the caps. This template doesn't italicize. 
Listening: Birds chirping. My kiddo making Transformer noises. 
Cooking: I did a lot of that this past week but not so much this weekend. We had pork chops, fresh ears of corn, lots of watermelon, and some tasty hybrid cherry plums. I made turkey taco bowls one night, fajita steak the next. Lots of summery, veggieful stuff. 
Blogging: Haaaaa! No. 
Work: This week was the week of drowning in essays. My two online classes turned in their first essay, and the first essay always requires a butt-ton of feedback. I even made video feedback for one of the classes, but time was running short, so the second class only got written feedback. It's a work in progress. This week is lighter, and thank goodness for that. 
School: Interchangeable with work for me. Though, hey, school starts for my kiddo soon. Once we get back from vacation, he'll have two weeks of freedom left.
Plans for the night: Me + couch + YouTube videos or Parks and Rec + stitching. HEAVEN.
Plans for this week: Frantic planning of things. We leave for a beach vacation next Sunday, and we have to do all the prep for that. My ex stepson (?)--Chuck's son--will be housesitting for us while we're gone, which makes me feel SO much better about leaving the dogs. We have to fill the freezer with easy stuff for him and document the things he needs to do so he won't forget. We have some stuff to buy and lots to pack, of course. And on Friday, my longest-known online friend (20 YEARS) will be in town to spend the night! So excited! 
What are you up to? 

16 comments:

  1. it is nice to see a blog post from you! I hope you enjoy your beach vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hillary! I am so, so excited about vacation. We haven't been in a couple of years, and I miss it. :D

      Delete
  2. This summer's been hot for us but last week wasn't bad and this week's not supposed to be either and I'm happy for that.

    My mom was talking about cherry plums the other day but I've yet to try one. They sound perfect for me, though, since cherries and plums are some of my favorite fruits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the milder weather, Kathy! We're supposed to have some days in the 80s coming soon, and I'm excited about that.

      The cherry plums are SO good. They're sweet like a cherry, and I find that the inside of the skin is less bitter than most plums. I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. I really liked An Ember in the Ashes (and not just because she's a Northern California author!). I've had book 2 sitting in my TBR pile ever since I finished Ember. I will get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I'm glad to know you liked Ember! I have enjoyed the little bit I've read. I think it'll be my big ole beach book next week.

      Delete
  4. Like the scribbling idea! Hope your vacation is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It shook my blogging block loose a bit. Hoping vacation helps with that, too! lol

      Delete
  5. Nice scribbles. Hope you have a fabulous vacation. The heat is not so bad, this year, but yep . . . August sucks, no matter how you slice it. Even a relatively cool August is still crap. I didn't get through An Ember in the Ashes but I'm sure it was just a timing issue. I got my copy from Tammy (may she rest in peace) and she was utterly convinced I'd love it so I will undoubtedly return to it. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts. Wow, a 20-year online relationship. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August sucks is bascically my personal motto. lol I'm ready for fall!

      I'll let you know what I think of Ember. I'm still determined to read Game of Thrones in her honor. She insisted I read it for YEARS. lol

      Delete
  6. I need to read Acceptance -- am in a bit of a book drought at the moment. Stalled on my novel, and work is bonkers. What are you stitching? Enjoy beach vacation -- I"m so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Audra! I'm stitching the cutest little fox in the summer woods pattern. It was created by Chris from Chrisbookarama, and it's in her Etsy shop. There's one for each season, and I can't wait to stitch the other three.

      Here's hoping your book drought and work/writing woes clear up soon! Summer is not a great time for me. Bring on the cozy days of fall.

      Delete
  7. A 20-year online friendship?! How cool is that. Anyone I know? I was thrilled to meet Juli (SuziQ) last week and I'm hoping to meet more blogging friends once Rod and I start traveling in our new trailer (which we pick up TOMORROW!!).

    Love this post and may have to steal it, myself. Good for you for being such an awesome online teacher. Rod really struggled with his first class (teaching online). A lot of the "kids" didn't even bother logging in to see his videos or even do the work. 50% flunked! So now he's editing test prep books for Peterson's. Good gig for retirement and less stress.

    Have a great vacation! Hopefully, it won't be too miserably hot. Even Oregon is feeling the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I want to know who your longest online friend is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even have kids in school any more (well, that's not true, I have 2 in college but it's not the same) and I still hate that August means back to school. It still feels like summer (oh, god, does it feel like summer some days) but back to school means my commute takes much longer every day. Ugh. I'm good with the heat, even if it does mean I sweat just sitting still; I far prefer that to needing to wear gloves and socks 24/7 just to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik